This country is in a dour mood in my opinion. We’ve become a nation of complainers. This is especially true when we talk about politics. Starting fights over alleged issues seems to work better for politicians than asking voters to credit them for their achievement. There are so many things we should be grateful for, but we’ve gotten into a bad rut.
If one looks on the negative side of life, there are plenty of problematic issues. Here’s my top ten, by no means a complete list:
- President Trump tried to retain power and threatened our democracy;
- Republicans vs. Democrats is splitting the country in and out of Congress;
- Putin is a major threat to our world order;
- Russia’s Ukraine invasion could continue for many months;
- We are not doing enough to control climate change;
- Inflation is eating into our standard of living;
- Our race relations are still terrible;
- Income inequality is huge and increasing;
- COVID may be with us permanently;
- Thousands of Americans are needlessly shot and killed.
There’s a great deal to worry about. Newspapers, magazines and social media highlight these issues and keep them before our minds. Technology has made us closer to the world’s problems than we have ever been, and we can witness horrific events.
But before these issues cause you sleepless nights, you should look at the issues that you can feel really good about. Here’s my top ten, by no means a complete list:
- We live in the U.S., the greatest country in the world;
- We have freedom of speech and can advocate for our views;
- We can do with our lives as we choose;
- We have the richest and most robust economy in the world;
- Two great oceans insolate us from wars;
- Our climate is generally temperate;
- Our country practices the rule of law;
- We have freedom of religion;
- We can eradicate almost all disease and increase our life expectancy.
If you’re feeling burdened by the world’s problems, depress your concerns and lift yourself up with things that make you feel good. Listen to a beautiful symphony or a terrific rock concert. Enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and get some healthy exercise. Get with your family and friends and relax in their company. Plan to travel to a place which will stimulate you and make you feel good. Receive uplift from your religion and keep in front of mind all the advantages that God has given you. Then go out and share your joy with others.
The bottom line is that the issues we can feel really good about dwarf the problematic issues. We’re lucky as hell, and our mood should be upbeat and positive, not dour.